Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Why the Lord takes the young in Death

Many have wondered why the Lord would cause a Mormon infant, baby, child, youth, or young adult to die, when he clearly has his whole life ahead of him.  To console such mourners, I quote the words of President Wilford Woodruff, which will give my answer:

One evening, as I fell asleep, I was very much troubled with evil spirits that tried to afflict me; and while laboring to throw off these spirits and their influence, there was another spirit visited me that seemed to have power over the evil spirits, and they departed from me.  Before he left me he told me not to grieve because of the departure of Abraham Hoagland Cannon [of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, who died at 37 years of age]; for the Lord had called him to fill another important mission in the spirit world, as a pure and holy apostle from Zion in the Rocky Mountains - a labor which would not only prove a great benefit to his father's household, but to the Church and kingdom of God on the earth.  I feel to name this, because it is true. I have become acquainted with many things in our history that I have marveled at. While in the St. George temple I had a son, who was in the north country, drowned.  He had a warning of this.  In a dream he was notified how he would die.  We had testimony of that after his death.  I asked the Lord why he was taken from me.  The answer to me was, "You are doing a great deal for the redemption of your dead; but the law of redemption requires some of your own seed in the spirit world to attend to work connected with this."  That was a new principle to me; but it satisfied me why he was taken away.  I name this, because there are a great many instances like it among the Latter-day Saints.  This was the case with Brother Abraham Cannon.  He was taken away to fulfil [sic] that mission.  And where we have anything of this kind, we should leave it in the hands of God to reconcile. (The Discourses of Wilford Woodruff, 292)

No comments: