Search This Blog

Monday, June 13, 2011

The Lies of Matt Stone, Trey Parker, and "The Book of Mormon Musical"

The Tony awards were Sunday night, and "The Book of Mormon Musical" won nine, including Best Musical.  It was written by Trey Parker and Matt Stone, creators of the profanity-laced South Park, which takes great pains in lampooning and defacing The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and all connected thereto.

Trey Parker and Matt Stone must remember the words of the Lord through Jacob, "Wo unto the lair, for he shall be thrust down to Hell" (2 Nephi 9:34).  The Deseret News wrote a great expose' called "Is This Musical Accurate Satire?" about the lies of these two liars and their "Book of Mormon Musical".  We will here examine the lines from the musical quoted within the Deseret News article, and set the record straight concerning what Mormons actually believe.  We will be proceeding from the beginning of the Deseret News article to the end.  No man need err when searching for the truth, especially when searching for the only correct Truth known as Mormonism.

"All American Prophet"
In the song "All American Prophet", the Angel Moroni sings, "Don't let anybody see these plates except for you (Joseph)."  This is nothing close to what the Angel told Joseph Smith.  President Joseph Smith said, "[The Angel Moroni] told me, that when I got those plates of which he had spoken—for the time that they should be obtained was not yet fulfilled—I should not show them to any person; neither the breastplate with the Urim and Thummim; only to those to whom I should be commanded to show them; if I did I should be destroyed" (JS-H 1:42, emphasis added).  Now, this is clear enough to illustrate one lie of the wicked twosome known as Trey Parker and Matt Stone.

Near the end of the same song, wherein the Prophet's death is depicted, the Prophet Joseph sings, "Oh God, why are you letting me die without having me show people the plates?  They'll have no proof I was telling the truth or not they'll have to believe it just 'cuz.  Oh, I guess that's kind of what you were going for."  Now, this is not only a bold-faced lie, but an easily refutable one at that.  Joseph Smith was allowed by the Lord to show the plates to eleven other men.  We will include their testimonies herein in full, in order that the lies of Matt Stone and Trey Parker might be more fully exposed:

The Testimony of Three Witnesses
Be it known unto all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people, unto whom this work shall come: That we, through the grace of God the Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ, have seen the plates which contain this record, which is a record of the people of Nephi, and also of the Lamanites, their brethren, and also of the people of Jared, who came from the tower of which hath been spoken.  And we also know that they have been translated by the gift and power of God, for his voice hath declared it unto us; wherefore we know of a surety that the work is true.  And we also testify that we have seen the engravings which are upon the plates; and they have been shown unto us by the power of God, and not of man.  And we declare with words of soberness, that an angel of God came down from heaven, and he brought and laid before our eyes, that we beheld and saw the plates, and the engravings thereon; and we know that it is by the grace of God the Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ, that we beheld and bear record that these things are true.  And it is marvelous in our eyes. Nevertheless, the voice of the Lord commanded us that we should bear record of it; wherefore, to be obedient unto the commandments of God, we bear testimony of these things.  And we know that if we are faithful in Christ, we shall rid our garments of the blood of all men, and be found spotless before the judgment-seat of Christ, and shall dwell with him eternally in the heavens.  And the honor be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost, which is one God.  Amen.
Oliver Cowdery
David Whitmer
Martin Harris

The Testimony of Eight Witnesses
Be it known unto all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people, unto whom this work shall come: That Joseph Smith, Jun., the translator of this work, has shown unto us the plates of which hath been spoken, which have the appearance of gold; and as many of the leaves as the said Smith has translated we did handle with our hands; and we also saw the engravings thereon, all of which has the appearance of ancient work, and of curious workmanship. And this we bear record with words of soberness, that the said Smith has shown unto us, for we have seen and hefted, and know of a surety that the said Smith has got the plates of which we have spoken. And we give our names unto the world, to witness unto the world that which we have seen. And we lie not, God bearing witness of it.
Christian Whitmer
Jacob Whitmer
Peter Whitmer, Jun.
John Whitmer
Hiram Page
Joseph Smith, Sen.
Hyrum Smith
Samuel H. Smith

"I Believe"
In this song, the missionary Elder Price sings, "I'm a Mormon and a Mormon just believes."  This also isn't true, and is a misconstruing of Latter-day Saints saying, as I say, that Thomas S. Monson is a Prophet; that the Book of Mormon is true; that Jesus is the Christ; and that I know these things without doubt.  They misconstrue those words into thinking that we Latter-day Saints aren't allowed (or aren't able) to think for ourselves.  This is not only a misinterpretation of Mormonism's doctrines, but the doctrine Christ Himself taught when he said, "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me" (John 5:39).  The Book of Mormon also admonished one to think for himself, and this in many instances.  Alma testifies, 
Do ye not suppose that I know of these things myself?  Behold, I testify unto you that I do know that these things whereof I have spoken are true.  And how do ye suppose that I know of their surety?  Behold, I say unto you they are made known unto me by the Holy Spirit of God.  Behold, I have fasted and prayed many days that I might know these things of myself.  And now I do know of myself that they are true; for the Lord God hath made them manifest unto me by his Holy Spirit; and this is the spirit of revelation which is in me.  And moreover, I say unto you that it has thus been revealed unto me, that the words which have been spoken by our fathers are true, even so according to the spirit of prophecy which is in me, which is also by the manifestation of the Spirit of God. (Alma 5:45-47)

Moroni also admonishes critical thinking (yes, it is possible to do that through scriptures, correct historical evidence, and revelation).  He writes, "And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.  And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things" (Moroni 10:4-5).

The Lord explains how this knowledge is truly made manifest to the sincere reader of the Book of Mormon, "But he that believeth these things which I have spoken, him will I visit with the manifestations of my Spirit, and he shall know and bear record.  For because of my Spirit he shall know that these things are true; for it persuadeth men to do good" (Ether 4:11).

And thus we see . . .
And thus we see the liars (Trey Parker and Matt Stone) are brought into the open naked, as it were, and their lies as well as their secret parts are made manifest to all, male and female, both the wicked and the righteous.  I, Clark LeRay Herlin, know for a surety that the Book of Mormon is true and was translated by the Gift and Power of God by Joseph Smith.  I also know by the power of the Holy Ghost that Joseph Smith is a prophet of God, and that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the Eternal Father, and my Savior.  I know that only the sincere will take Mormonism for what it is - truth.  In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Addendum
I say now boldly as a warning - the Latter-day Saint that sees "The Book of Mormon Musical" is flirting with damnation because Satan is in it.  I also warn that the so-called active Latter-day Saint who sees "The Book of Mormon Musical" and says he likes it, that person is on the road to apostasy, and entrapped in the chords of sin.  I say this boldly and humbly, being led by the Spirit of the Lord, in the Name of Jesus Christ, amen. 

3 comments:

Josh said...

Your final statement makes it sound like you are afraid of Mormons going to see this production. If you were as confident of the truth of Mormonism as you said you were, you would say something like, "Mormons go see the musical and see for yourself how wrong it is." Instead, you warn people not to see it. Is that because you are worried that they might be convinced?

Clark Herlin said...

No. It is because when you play with fire, you will always get burned.

Anonymous said...

Hahaha. Oh, my mistake--you were being serious.