Search This Blog

Monday, November 7, 2011

Mormonism and the Christ no. 5 - Christ the Mediator


 On Sunday 8 November 2011, President Boyd K. Packer, President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, spoke in a Church Educational System fireside about truth, but specifically about the most valuable truths. 

The depths of the wisdom spoken by President Packer shall not be elucidated upon within this post, but I shall quote the Apostle and Prophet as to what the most important truth is.

Jesus Christ as Mediator
The most important truth anyone can ever know is that Jesus Christ lives and is the Savior of the world, the Mediator of all men's sins, and the Advocate with the Father.  President Packer spoke Sunday of how all have fallen into sin, and therefore need a Mediator and Creditor to fully pay the debt justice demands, while also giving mercy its chance.  The Apostolic sage said, "Unless there is a mediator, unless we have a friend, the full wieght of justice, untempered and unsympathetic, must, positively must fall on us.  The full penalty for every transgression, however minor or however deep, will be exacted from us to the uttermost farthing.  There is a Mediator, a Redeemer who stands both willing and able to appease the demands of justice and extend mercy to those who are penitent" ("Some truths are 'most worth knowing,' Pres. Packer tells students", Deseret News, Monday 7 November 2011, B3).

The statement above squares with Scripture.  The Savior in 3 Nephi 9:15, 21-22 saith,

Behold, I am Jesus Christ the Son of God.  I created the heavens and the earth, and all things that in them are. I was with the Father from the beginning.  I am in the Father, and the Father in me; and in me hath the Father glorified his name. . . . Behold, I have come unto the world to bring redemption unto the world, to save the world from sin.  Therefore, whoso repenteth and cometh unto me bas a little child, him will I receive, for of such is the kingdom of God.  Behold, for such I have laid down my life, and have taken it up again; therefore repent, and come unto me ye ends of the earth, and be saved.

Doctrine and Covenants 45:3-5 reads, "Listen to him who is the advocate with the Father, who is pleading your cause before him—Saying: Father, behold the sufferings and death of him who did no sin, in whom thou wast well pleased; behold the blood of thy Son which was shed, the blood of him whom thou gavest that thyself might be glorified; Wherefore, Father, spare these my brethren that believe on my name, that they may come unto me and have everlasting life."

Thus it is shown, through the words of a true Apostle of the Lord, as well as through modern revelation, that Christ is indeed the Savior and Redeemer of the World, and our Mediator if we repent.  In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

No comments: