Search This Blog

Friday, November 18, 2011

Sex-spread disease and the Law of Chastity

In Provo, Utah's Daily Herald of Friday 18 November 2011, we read on page A6 in full:

Cases of some common sexually spread diseases continue to increase in the United States, but the syphilis rate dropped last year for the first time in a decade.

Health officials on Thursday released their annual report on sexually transmitted disease, and found chlamydia and gonorrhea rates continued to grow last year.

More than 1.3 million cases of chlamydia were reported last year - the largest number ever reported in one year for any condition.  The number of new gonorrhea cases surpassed 300,000.

Bluntly Stated
When will the people learn that the Law of Chastity is put in force by God for a reason?  Thus saith the Lord, "Thou shalt not commit adultery" (Exodus 20:14).  I like the words of President Boyd K. Packer, President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.  He bluntly stated, "We are free to ignore the counsels and commandments of the scriptures, but when the revelations speak in such blunt terms, such as 'thou shalt not,' we had better pay attention" (Boyd K. Packer, "The Fountain of Life", Eternal Marriage Student Manual).  The Savior stated succinctly, "Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart" (Matt. 5:27-28).  How can it be stated more plainly than that?

Lastly, the Prophet Alma stated, 

Know ye not, my son, that these things are an abomination in the sight of the Lord; yea, most abominable above all sins save it be the shedding of innocent blood or denying the Holy Ghost? . . . But behold, ye cannot hide your crimes from God; and except ye repent they will stand as a testimony against you at the last day.  Now my son, I would that ye should repent and forsake your sins, and go no more after the lusts of your eyes, but cross yourself in all these things; for except ye do this ye can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God (Alma 39:5, 8-9).

"Hope Which Thou Desirest"
For those who have fallen into the snare of premarital or extramarital relations, there is hope.  The Redeemer saith, "Behold, mine arm of mercy is extended towards you, and whosoever will come, him will I receive; and blessed are those who come unto me" (3 Nephi 9:14).  Also in another place He urgeth, "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light" (Matt. 11:28-30).

I know the Son of God's mercy covereth the whole Earth, and he who cries out to God in sincerity will be answered by a most benevolent God.  I know the Savior is real, and the laws He proclaims through His servant the Prophets - whether ancient or modern - are immutable.  I know if they are followed happiness will also, and in no other way.  In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

No comments: