Search This Blog

Monday, March 14, 2011

LDS Temple Stained Glass Windows

This is a stained glass window (one of many) that are now in the Nauvoo Temple
The above window symbolizes eternal perfection, because upside down stars can be drawn inside the pentagon in succession (if the geometry in the lines and angles of the succeeding stars are correct), causing the design to go on forever.


Stained glass window in the Baptistry of the Nauvoo Templ
The above picture represents the need for all of us, living and dead, to be baptized as Christ our Savior was.

In the lobby of the Winter Quarters Nebraska Temple
This is a depiction of the Mormon Pioneers' Trek to the Salt Lake Valley in 1846-1847.

Inside the Palmyra New York Temple (just outside the Sacred Grove)
Joseph Smith's own words concerning the events of the First Vision are:   

"After I had retired to the place where I had previously designed to go, having looked around me, and finding myself alone, I kneeled down and began to offer up the desires of my heart to God. . . . I saw a pillar of light exactly over my head, above the brightness of the sun, which descended gradually until it fell upon me. . . . When the light rested upon me I saw two Personages, whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air. One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the other—This is My Beloved Son. Hear Him! (JS-H 1:15-17)"


Christ and His Apostles on the road to Emaus, Manhattan New York Temple


Adam and Eve expelled from the Garden of Eden.  Hanging in the Grand Staircase in the Salt Lake Temple
The above picture is in color, but the colored version is not as impressive where I found it.  It may be see on LDS.org as photo 36.  Some non-Mormons wonder why Adam and Eve were so foolish as to get kicked out of the Edenic Garden wherein they labored before the Fall.  However, Lehi, a prophet who lived in the Ancient Americas, explained why it was necessary for Adam and Eve to fall.  Said he,

"And now, behold, if Adam had not transgressed he would not have fallen, but he would have remained in the garden of Eden.  And all things which were created must have remained in the same state in which they were after they were created; and they must have remained forever, and had no end.  And they would have had no children; wherefore they would have remained in a state of innocence, having no joy, for they knew no misery; doing no good, for they knew no sin.  But behold, all things have been done in the wisdom of him who knoweth all things.  Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy. . . . And after Adam and Eve had partaken of the forbidden fruit they were driven out of the garden of Eden, to till the earth.  And they have brought forth children; yea, even the family of all the earth (2 Nephi 2:22-25, 19-20)."

Latter-day Saints know that the Fall of Man was necessary in bringing for God's Plan of Redemption through His Son, Jesus Christ.

No comments: