Search This Blog

Monday, November 23, 2009

Mormon Theology no. 1 - Godhead

In the Wednesday edition of the Deseret News, dated 14 September 2011, is an article which speaks about the Mormon version of Deity, and how many Christians are skeptical of a Mormon being elected President of the United States.  Therefore, The Mormon Eagle feels disposed to proclaim the True and Living God as attested by the teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, the Lord Jesus Christ, and the Apostle Paul.

Teachings of a Modern Prophet
President Joseph Smith, Jun. taught, "There are three personages in the heavens who hold the keys of power, and one presides over all" (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 312).  He also taught, "I have always declared God to be a distinct personage, Jesus Christ a separate and distinct personage from God the Father, and that the Holy Ghost was a distinct personage and a Spirit: and these three constitute three distinct personages and three Gods" (TPJS, p. 370).  Joseph Smith put it in another way, namely, "The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man's; the Son also; but the Holy Ghost has not a body of flesh and bones, but is a personage of Spirit.  Were it not so, the Holy Ghost could not dwell in us" (D&C 130:22).  In his First Vision, the Prophet wrote, "I saw a pillar of light exactly over my head, above the brightness of the sun, which descended gradually until it fell upon me. . . . When the light rested upon me I saw two Personages, whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air.  One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the other—This is My Beloved Son.  Hear Him!" (JS-H 1:16-17).  He also wrote in another account of the same vision, "I was enwrapped in a heavenly vision, and saw two glorious personages, who exactly resembled each other in features and likeness, surrounded with brilliant light which eclipsed the sun at noon day" (HC 4:535-536).  Additionally, he testified, "I kneeled down, and prayed, saying, 'O Lord, what Church shall I join?' Directly I saw a light, and then a glorious Personage in the light, and then another Personage, and the first Personage said [of] the second, 'Behold this is my beloved Son, hear him'" (Interview by David Nye White, Aug. 1843, published in "The Prairies, Nauvoo, Joe Smith, the Temple, the Mormons, etc.," The Pittsburgh Weekly Gazette, Sept. 15, 1843, 3; reprinted in The Papers of Joseph Smith, ed. Dean C. Jessee, 2 vols. [1989–92], 1:444).

Words of the Savior on the Godhead
Jesus Christ is the Only Begotten Son of God and the Savior and Redeemer of the world.  He also testified of the separate Beings which comprise the Godhead.  He said, "I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I" (John 14:28).  Here it is, from the Son Himself, that God the Father and Jesus Christ are separate and distinct Personages, as the Prophet Joseph Smith also testified.  The Savior also said, "I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God" (John 20:17).  Also, this saying of the Redeemer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent" (John 17:3).  Here we have three instances of Jesus Christ publicly testifying that His Father and Himself are separate Beings.  He distinctly refers to another Personage, even God His Father.  This clearly shows that the True and Living God is taught by the Latter-day Saints, and no other Church.

The Apostle to the Gentiles
Our beloved Brother Paul has some very telling verses, the which testify of the separate Beings which comprise the Godhead, and that there is no such things as the Trinity.  Paul taught, "But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him" (1 Cor. 8:6).  Paul uses here the phrase "one God, the Father . . . and one Lord Jesus Christ" to emphasize their separate nature - that they are not one in body nor substance, but distinct and separate Beings, although one in purpose.  Paul also taught, "But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ . . . and the head of Christ is God" (1 Cor. 11:3).  Here Paul states that Christ rules over mankind, even as God the Father rules over Christ.  Simple enough to have proven my point. 

I have indeed shown the True and Living Gods, that God the Father is a separate Being from His Son Jesus Christ, and that the doctrine of God and Jesus being one substance is a false and foolish notion.  I know what I have taught is true.  In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

No comments: